Thursday 5 February 2015

Friday 5th February 1915


Washer up. Drill.
Outpost scheme. Was detailed as sanitary man of no. 1 picket. Had to dig trench 3 ft wide and 1 ft deep, earth piled on one side only.
Quarry 2-4.30pm. Wheeled barrow, smashed blocks. Fun doing squad drill with barrows. Paid 7/1. Peeled potatoes.
Concert in Y.M. 7-9.30pm by Endcliffe Wesleyan Choir. Excellent on whole. A beautiful girl, Isobel Duffy. English. Quiet, sweet rosy face. Clear voice. Sang Killarney. Another artist sang “When my ship comes home”. Wish I had a sweetheart to confide in. How lonely I feel often. “And God saw that it was not good for man to live alone”. Beautiful thought. My dream girl, how I love her. And man’s folly cuts short the creations of human and divine aspiration. How Clarke and Stables teased me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment